The Printrbot Simple 3D printer is used for making 3D objects using fused deposition modeling (FDM) with PLA plastic filament.
- Ownership: Nick Clark/Paul DiBiase
- Location: PaxSpace electronics shop
- Make/Model: Printrbot
- Part Number: Simple
It is recommended for members to attend a PaxSpace 3D printing class prior to using any PaxSpace 3D printers.
- Printrbot models are designed for use with polyactide (PLA) plastic filament. Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic filament requires a heated print bed, which the Printrbot does not have.
- Only change filament when the printer's extruder is up to its full 200C heat. Changing the filament while the extruder is cold can jam the extruder.
- If you hear a clicking sound from the extruder, that means it is jammed.
- After changing a filament color, you can manually extrude several millimeters of plastic to clear the extruder of the old color, ensuring that your next print is entirely the same color.
- Blue painter's tape must be applied to the print bed for the first layer of the print job to successfully adhere. If the first layer of a print job fails to adhere, cancel the job, remove the existing masking tape and apply a fresh layer.
- Try not to overlap the tape strips, as it creates a raised seam that can cause irregularities in your print job.
- The use of supports in printing models is not recommended. Supports cannot be removed cleanly from a printed object. Instead, reorient your object model or slice it into parts for later assembly.
- It is strongly recommended that you include a skirt in your print job. The skirt - a single layer circle of plastic around the printed object - primes the extruder and helps ensure a smooth print.
- 3D printing takes time! Do not leave the printer unattended. Printer malfunctions can cause fire risks if they are not quickly resolved.
Add links to any other sources that pertain to this equipment.
Document any normal maintenance that must be performed on this equipment.
Things that Need to be Done
Are there any improvements that need to be made that would make the equipment better.
A list of commonly asked questions